3.02.2011

Diana Arvanites | Portrait of an Artist


Meet the infinitely talented Diana Arvanites. I met Diana a few years ago and fell in love with her delicate and intriguing encaustic wax paintings. Her work is a delightful mix of watercolors, ink, acrylic and string hidden beneath alternate layers of wax and mixed medium. While I'm no art critic, I see Diana's paintings as a deconstruction of the human lifecycle using the layers of material to give depth and meaning to each individual piece. Together as a whole they function as a visual commentary on life, division and death at a cellular level. I think my favorite thing about Diana's work is that each time I see it I see something new beneath the layers (sounds like some people I know - lol!).

As a bonus she showed me some techniques. I'll post more when I finish my piece! 





No comments:

Post a Comment